venerdì 27 aprile 2018

NIE what to do in case of LOSS or THEFT of the Número de Indentificación de Extranjero


***Please note this post speaks only to EU members who already had a NIE, if you're a non-EU citizen you might need further documentation.***


I decided to write this small guideline to try and help those who find themselves in this unfortunate situation. I've been living in Barcelona for six years now, and yesterday, at exactly seven days before my estimated due date, some random pickpocket decided to steal my wallet as I was on my way out of Mercadona. Super cliché, I know. I had all my Spanish documents in that wallet, (luckily I did not have my original country ID card/passport with me), but I had, among other things, my NIE and my CatSalut card. I was so worried about having to renew my NIE, only a few days till the future birth of my daughter and I wanted to make sure I had all my papers, but we know that in Barcelona certain procedures are not fast. Down below I explain how I made it to have a duplicate of my NIE in less than 24 hours from the theft, hoping that this will help you in some way to understand what documents you need to hand in.

How to obtain a Duplicate/Copy of your NIE for EU citizens (due to loss or theft)

1- Go to the nearest Mossos Station and report the Theft/loss to the Police

The very first thing to do is to go to the police station and get a Police Report. Please remember you WILL need some sort of ID/passport to let them verify your identity. The report MUST state that your NIE has been stolen or lost.

(If your country ID/Passport has been stolen too you need to get a new one at your Consulate/Embassy ASAP)


2. Mandatory documents you need to gather and hand in


  • Copy and original Police Report
  • Copy and Original Passport / Identity Card
  • * Volante de Empadronamiento (not issued more than three months ago)
  • ** Vida Laboral (yes guys, there's no way around it. The first time you got a NIE you probably brought a pre / contract, now in order to get the copy you have to bring your vida laboral to prove that you are working, or that you have legally "cotizado" something during these past few years/months in Spain)
  • Bank giro slip/Deposit slip to be paid in any bank or saving accounts, you must fill it in and print it out yourself https://sede.policia.gob.es:38089/Tasa790_012/ selecting the following option : Certificado de registro de residentes comunitarios o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión. which will amount to € 10.71. Make sure you print it out yourself!!  If you don't they will tell you to come back only when you have it filled, printed and stamped by the bank to confirm the payment (in cash or bank transfer)


  • Hoja de la Afiliación de la Seguridad Social (this is not mandatory because it shows in your vida laboral, but if you have it bring it just in case)


(¿How on earth did you have all this stuff in less than a day? Well, I was lucky, preparing myself for the birth of my daughter I had been gathering all these docs just in case in the previous couple of weeks. Having my wallet stolen 9 months into my pregnancy was not fun but karma helped me out a little bit as you can see)

3. Go to the Extranjería office in Rambla Guipuzcoa 74

Opening Hours 9: 00-14: 00 Monday - Friday
 I didn't book any appointment, the system wouldn't let me, so I showed up anyway and told them what happened to me and they let me in, no further questions asked.
- They will give you this form to fill in (the first paragraph only) it's called the EX18 model. If you want to bring it yourself just in case you can find it here http://www.ub.edu/uri/Documents/ex18.pdf



In my case, just after six years from my first NIE, my status as a foreigner had changed, I was given a NIE that states RESIDENTE PERMANENTE ( it does not mean that the old was temporary but simply there was no reference to deadlines). The clerk explained to me that the next time something like this happens, I no longer have to bring all these documents but rather only the photocopies of my ID/PASSPORT, the deposit slip and the Police Report because my stay in Spain is now considered permanent.




* Volante del Padrón
https://w30.bcn.cat/APPS/portaltramits/portal/channel/default.html?&stpid=19970000156&mostrar_descLarga=0&channel=1&mostrar_conCertif=0 (fill it in and you will get it in the mail at your current address after about a week)
https://w30.bcn.cat/APPS/portaltramits/portal/channel/default.html?&stpid=19970000156&mostrar_descLarga=0&channel=5 (you can go to the nearest point of atención al ciudadano and print it out)

** Vida Laboral
- You can go to the nearest office Tesoreria and ask for it there (for those who live near Sagrada Familia (C. Indústria, 114 08025 BARCELONA (BARCELONA)
- There is a faster way to get it, if, when you got afiliado to the seguridad social, you gave your phone number and agreed to their terms and conditions you can go here https://goo.gl/oEAMJD (if doesn't work search SOLICITAR VIDA LABORAL VIA SMS) enter your details and your telephone number, you will receive a confirmation code, enter it et voila, Vida Laboral in PDF format

2 commenti:

  1. Hi Sarimi,
    This is really helpful information as I'm in a similar situation and I've been struggling to find information about how to get a duplicate - so thank you so much for sharing!

    I was wondering how long you had to queue and what time you arrived to make sure you were seen? I imagine the queues are pretty long!

    Thanks again!
    Rose

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Hi! I didn't have to queue up sctactua, I went at around 10am explained my situation they gave me a number and just had to wait to be called. I would say half hour!
      Did you manage to get your duplicate??

      Elimina